Friday, May 9, 2014

Here Comes the Heat!

In case you haven’t been outside lately you may not have noticed it’s starting to heat up again.  The mornings are still nice and cool but by the afternoon, temperatures are reaching the mid to high 90’s and if you’re like me and probably starting to realize it’s time to bring out that water bottle again.  I’ll admit I hate to carry any type of hydration system, I can be extremely stubborn during the colder months and refuse to bring water.  However, as it starts to heat up and the humidity
becomes unbearably dehydrating, even I play it smart.  As a coach you’ll hear me say “do as I say not as I do” , yep…..I’m that gal.  I’m not perfect, and I’m as stubborn as the next person, but even I know that in Texas there is no way around proper hydration.  I’ve found the most comfortable handheld that works for me and also carries my phone is the Nathan Quick Draw.  The only annoying thing is I can only carry it in my right hand; it’s too awkward in my left hand for some reason.  A couple other things I include to improve my electrolyte balance is Nuun.  If you don’t currently use Nuun, I highly suggest giving it a try.  Great product to throw into your everyday water consumption with added benefits of sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium and vitamin C.  Regardless, I just like it because I can liven up my water with a light, sugar free, zero calorie burst of flavor.  My favorite is the lemon lime but I always forget that it is slightly carbonated (all Nuun is!). I have to be careful because I'll be in that zone, running like the wind, and pull the top of my water bottle open with me teeth and immediately get that fizzy shot in the face. Think of an seltzer tab, you gotta give it a little ventilation!  This can sometimes not only be embarrassing, but also very wasteful.  Then there’s
another electrolyte in a capsule form from Hammer called Endurolyte Extreme.  Similar product as the regular Hammer Endurolytes but higher percentages of potassium and sodium as well as an added ginger root which if you’re not familiar is used as an anti-inflammatory and also helps soothe your stomach.  Basically, to my understanding its made specifically for extremely hot weather events.  For sure I’ll be including it in my summer workouts, mainly for my long runs lasting over an hour or two.  So I guess now that I’m comfortable with my daily routine, I feel confident it's time I pick a race to train for.  With that being said, it’s time I start really thinking about all training details regarding my nutrition, hydration, footwear, etc.  Although I eat fairly healthy, there’s definitely room for improvement.  Maybe I’ll even start sharing some recipes.  Recipes from Ericka’s Kitchen, these are what I like to call my “Quick and Easy Random Recipes”. 


This past Sunday I completed a nice hilly 8 miler which was the perfect time for me to think about my new plan.  Most importantly what gets me excited is the fact that my sweetie is a teacher and has the summers off, which means he’s on baby watch and I can start getting up early again  for 5:00am workouts with our License for Distance training class…..yay!  Sounds crazy, but I’m soooo ready to wake up early and sweat like hell.  I look forward to my summer marathon training. 

Randomness #1
Kale and Potato Tacos
1.       Corn tortillas
2.       Kale
3.       Potatoes (gold or red potatoes)
4.       Cheese (optional)
5.       Olive Oil ( 1 tablespoon)

Super simple to make.  Cut potatoes fairly thin and pan fry in tablespoon olive oil (can substitute with 1.4 cup water if you don’t have olive oil), season potatoes to taste .  Once potatoes are soft, throw 2 handfuls of washed Kale over potatoes to steam, cover with top.  Heat tortillas in Microwave or on a separate pan.  I don’t like my Kale overly cooked, so I remove after about 2 minutes in the pan.  Add Kale, potatoes and Cheese to corn tortilla and enjoy.  You can include a side of black beans or brown rice to top it off. 


***Note:  I’m not a Registered Dietician, or Nutritionist.  Recipes will not include nutritional content or total calories, cause some of it’s pretty obvious.  I just like to EAT. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment